Write a description of the most crucial differences between perception and sensation and explain why. Then, provide an example of how context may affect pain perception. Finally, explain two potential costs and two potential benefits of pain perception. Support your postings and responses with specific references to the literature and Learning Resources. Knox, R. (2008). After hand transplant, patient’s brain adapts. NPR. Retrieved from http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95593579
- Basbaum, A. I., Bautista, D. M., Scherrer, G., Julius, D. (2009). Cellular and molecular mechanisms of pain. Cell, 139(2), 267–284. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19837031
- Breedlove, S. M., & Watson, N. V. (2018). Behavioral neuroscience (8th ed.) New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Chapter 8, “General Principles of Sensory Processing, Touch, and Pain”
- TED Conferences, LLC. (Producer). (n.d.). Elliot Krane: The mystery of chronic pain. Retrieved February 6, 2012, from http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/elliot_krane_the_mystery_of_chronic_pain.html
- Sinauer Associates, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Somatosensory receptive fields. Available from https://www.bn8e.com/